My Approach to Therapy
If you are new to counselling or psychotherapy, I know how nervous you are probably feeling. Taking such a step can be challenging. Yet, I also know how incredibly rewarding it can be.
Depending on your hopes and needs, we can work together over a brief period or for however long you require. We can discuss this when we first meet.
Whatever your focus, it will be a privilege to act as your guide on your journey towards understanding yourself more wholeheartedly.
Issues I work with
Many practitioners write a laundry list of issues they are willing to work with. I take a different approach. You are more than a label or a diagnosis, so let’s have a discussion to see how I can be of service to you.
If I think another practitioner will be better suited to your needs, I will happily provide you with some recommendations.
Therapy for the LGTBQ+ Community
Much progress has been made in the UK in recent years, yet identifying as lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, trans or queer can be a difficult and often lonely experience.
- Perhaps you feel shame (a deep sense of unease) around your sexuality or gender identity.
- Maybe you are drinking or taking drugs more often than you would like to admit to others.
- Or perhaps you are worried about your sexual behaviour, or using drink/drugs to have sex.
If this sounds familiar, then we can discuss these things together in confidence and without fear of judgement.
My Commitment to You
- I will be there to walk alongside you with whatever problems you are experiencing.
- I will respect your identity, your background, your past and present situation, and future aspirations.
- I will empathise not patronise.
- I will help you to find choice where there appears to be none.
- When appropriate and with respect, I will challenge you and play devil’s advocate.
- I won’t judge you, whatever you are going through.
Experience & Training
- I am a registered member of the British Association of Counselling & Psychotherapy, having studied and qualified at the Psychosynthesis Trust in London Bridge. Psychosynthesis is an integrative style of counselling and psychotherapy; utilising a range of therapeutic approaches depending on your needs whilst guiding you to become more of who you truly are. Feel free to ask me more about Psychosynthesis when we meet.
- I have 15 years experience in the corporate world working for large multinational companies.
- Alongside my time in business, I have spent 10 years working with and supporting the LGBTQ+ community at prominent organisations including Terrence Higgins Trust, Switchboard, Albert Kennedy Trust and Diversity Role Models.